In 1223 Cardinal Ugolino, the future Pope Gregory IX, accepted to consecrate a new chapel in the Monastery of Saint Benedict in Subiaco, and asked Saint Francis from Assisi, who obviously hadn’t become saint yet, to come along. But Francis was quite famous indeed, so much as to get a present from Subiaco’s Abbot: the
ancient Saint Peter’s oratory, located at the gates of the city.
« It came to Subiaco (…) the Saint known by the name of Francis from Assisi(…) . To him the Abbot(…) donated the church of Saint Peter upon the Aniene river… »
Livio Mariani, Storia di Subiaco e suo distretto Abbaziale
The altarpiece by Antoniazzo Romano in 1464 enshrines a Virgin Mary so beautiful as to be easily compared with Botticelli’s ladies. The nearby chapel frescoed by Antonio Bazzi, called “Il Sodoma”, tells us about Virgin Mary’s life through episodes of uncommon humanity, in which domestic animals enlivened the houses and the patrons were depicted with their typical Sublacensis clothes.
| Opening hours
The nuns open to visitors who ask to see the church. So it is good to appropriately choose at what time to show up. It is a holy place, therefore the dress code is mandatory: no bare feet, no shorts, shoulders must be covered.
| HOLY MASS
Saturday 4:00 P.M.
Sunday 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M.
| Ticket Entrance
Entrance is free of charge however we suggest you give a liberal offer to the nuns, who take care of the maintenance of the building.
Guesthouse, dining hall and toilets. Booking is mandatory.
| Car Park
Cars and buses are allowed. Parking is out of charge